Monday, April 8, 2013

Weekly Reflection #5

Reading:

Book: The fault in Our Stars
Author: John Green
Pages: Book completed

Ever since I finished The Fault in our Stars by John Green I have yet to find another book that sparks my interest! This book had me captivated from start to finish! Every John Green book is such an experience and "The Fault in Our Stars" is no exception. He makes you laugh, he makes you cry and he makes you question the world. The characters John Green creates have such a force on you and are so real and believable. When reading the synopsis of the book you make assumptions that it will just be another cancer story about love. The characters break this mold, and Augustus makes you fall in love with his wit and dark humor and Hazel with her sarcasm and acceptance of her situation. As much as I recommend this book I also do give a severe warning, this book will make you cry. Those of you who are John Green readers are all aware of his plot twists involving his characters.

Newspaper Blackout:

Note: I will be referring to Newspaper Blackout as NB

To be honest, while writing the NB poetry I found one of the most challenging parts to be blacking out my poetry and still having it be readable. I kept accidentally boxing off my words to closely. I did find it to be a challenge creating a story that made any sort of sense out of words that I hadn't written. I do admit that I wasn't happy with two out of three of my poems. But after becoming more selective with my choices of articles, I was very happy with my poem, "Young Love, Dumb Love". This style is definitely very unique because it makes you think out of the box. It makes you more limited and therefore is more challenging.I learned that as a writer I like to make my own word choice. As a reader I've learned that my brain is very trained to read left to right and when thrown off of that pattern I struggle. I feel like this type of an exercise helps us grow as writers because it forces us to make the best of our creativity.



No comments:

Post a Comment